Feeling unwell? Not sure if you should visit the Emergency Department (ED) or a General Practitioner (GP) clinic near you?
Your family doctor plays a critical role in caring for your health needs, and should generally be the first point of contact when you feel unwell.
However, if you are experiencing sudden, urgent or unexpected occurrences that require immediate medical attention, please visit the
Emergency Department (ED) as soon as possible.
These conditions include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Broken bone or dislocation
- Traffic or worksite accident
- Drug overdose or poisoning
- Choking or difficulty in breathing
- Deep cuts with uncontrollable bleeding
- Sudden abdominal pains that do not subside
- Sudden, severe chest pains or breathlessness
- Head injuries with bleeding, drowsiness or vomiting
Most non-emergency cases which are mild and common can be treated by visiting the family doctor instead of making a trip down to the ED.