Discharge Instructions After Vasectomy
The instructions provide general information and advice regarding your condition. These guidelines are not exhaustive and taking these precautions may help to reduce risks and complications.
1. Post-anaesthetic Instructions
You are advised to refrain from the following activities within 24 hours after anaesthesia/surgery:
- Drive a vehicle.
- Operate any machinery or dangerous tools.
- Perform any task that requires skills, co-ordination or judgement, e.g. financial transaction, legal documentation, ATM withdrawal, etc.
- Drink alcohol or take medication such as sleeping pills, tranquilisers, etc.
You may lie in any comfortable position. However, you should avoid pressure on the operated area.
Take your medication as prescribed for pain relief.
- You need to be careful at home for the first six (6) weeks.
- Avoid strenuous physical activities, e.g. jogging, tai-chi, swimming or badminton.
- When picking objects from the floor, do so by bending your knees while keeping your back straight.
- Avoid stooping, bending, training, lifting or carrying heavy objects.
- You do not need to restrict your diet.
- Take plenty of roughage, eg. vegetables and fruits to avoid constipation.
6 Special Instructions
Continue your contraception method until a certificate of sterilisation is issued. Visit your family doctor or polyclinic when:
- Wound becomes red, swollen or when there is pus-like discharge.
- Pain increases or fever develops.
What Should You do in an Emergency?
Aching, scrotal bruising or swelling may be present for several days. Please call TTSH Urology Clinic 2A/2B @ 6889 4258/4242 during office hours if you experience the following:
- Significant pain, not relieved by medication.
- Excessive nausea and vomiting and is unable to retain fluids.
- Severe bleeding or gross scrotal swelling or purple discoloration occurring within 24 hours after surgery.
- Unable to urinate 12 hours after operation.
- Unexpected drowsiness.
Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm
Saturday: 8am - 12noon
Sunday & Public Holiday: Closed
OR call Clinical Coordinator, Department of Urology @ 9726 1802 (Mon – Fri: 9am – 5pm)
After office hours, you are advised to seek treatment at the Emergency Department, Basement 1, Tan Tock Seng Hospital.