What is Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a program consisting of exercises and education designed to help patients with lung disease improve their physical and psychological status.
Who Can Benefit From the Programme?
If you have chronic lung disease such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
- Interstitial Lung Disease
As a result of these illnesses, you may experience a reduction in exercise tolerance.
This may result in a decline in physical function and a reduced quality of life.
If left unaddressed, it may lead to impaired ability in performing activities of daily living and breathlessness at rest.
Spiral of Deconditioning
What Happens During the Programme?
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programme will be provided by the Physiotherapy Department
You will receive a thorough evaluation that includes:
- Medical assessment
- Medication review
- Fitness test before the start of the program
Each session includes:
- 1 hour of supervised exercise class that is customized based on your goals, fitness level, medical conditions and ability
- 15 minutes of education covering topics such as:
- Benefits of exercise
- Anatomy and physiology of lung disease
- Inhaler techniques
- Bronchial hygiene
What Can You Expect?
Our team will work with you throughout your program to achieve the following:
- Decrease respiratory symptoms
- Encourage self-management and control of daily activities
- Improve fitness level
- Achieve greater independence in daily activities
- Improve emotional well-being
- Reduce hospitalizations episodes
How Long Do You Need to Commit?
- The amount of time taken to complete a program varies according to your needs.
- A full program consists of 10 exercise sessions and 2 assessments
- It is important to attend every session as the physiotherapist needs to constantly monitor and increase your exercises as you progress.
What Happens After You Finish the Programme?
- The program does not end here!
- You should continue what you have learned and practice them in your daily life
- It is very important that you continue with your home exercise program to maintain the benefits achieved from pulmonary rehabilitation program
How Do You Enroll in a Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program?
A physician referral is required.
Kindly inform your doctor, nurse or physiotherapist if you are interested.