Introduction to Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology services
The Department of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology is a referral centre for patients with rheumatologic and allergic disorders in Singapore and the region.
Nurse clinicians in these specialities support their team of doctors in the department to provide patients with education/knowledge about the condition. Besides acquiring knowledge about their diseases, patients will also learn coping strategise to enhance self-management and living with their condition more effectively.
The Nurse clinicians also organise and conduct diagnostics tests, manage and administer specific therapies for treatment. Patients are referred to the nurse clinicians after consultation with our specialists.
Our Rheumatology Nurse Clinician Services Include:
- Patient and family education on the various rheumatic diseases
- Education on various modalities of treatment, benefits/ potential side-effects of disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs)
- Education on lifestyle/ activity modification, joint protection in arthritides
- Sharing of coping strategies during acute disease flares and disease progression; self-management and prevention of disease flares
- Administration of specialized therapeutic agents (e.g. anti-tumour necrosis alpha inhibitors and other biologic agents, intravenous immunoglobulins)
- Facilitating patient interaction and participation in patient support groups (e.g. Lupus Association (Singapore), National Arthritis Foundation) which our rheumatologists are advisors to.
Our Clinical Immunology/allergy Services Include:
- Patient and family education on the various allergic and immunological disorders
- Patient education on allergen avoidance (e.g. avoiding aeroallergen triggers, reading food labels, insect venom sting avoidance)
- Education on use of intranasal and inhaled corticosteroids for allergic rhinitis and asthma
- Self-management: Anaphylaxis Action Plan, when and how to use an epinephrine autoinjector; Asthma Action Plan
- Diagnostic allergy tests (skin tests, drug provocation tests, food challenges)
- Desensitization for drug allergy
- Allergen specific immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis and insect venom anaphylaxis
- Immunoglobulin replacement therapy for patients with primary immunodeficiency disorders
- Facilitating patient interaction and participation in patient support groups (e.g. Allergy and Asthma Association, I CAN!).
Project (Poster and Oral Presentation, and Publications)
|TC Lau, Carol Yeung, Jing Yang, ET Koh
|Osteoporosis is an Unfamiliar Illness Among Singapore Elderly Patients with Fragility Fractures. Poster Presentation
Annual Scientific Conference National Health Care Group
|LY Pong, VH Lim, TC Lau, TY Lian, KP Leong, HH Chng, ET Koh
|Importance of Education At Diagnosis By The Nurse Clinician In Patients With Early Rheumatoid Arthritis: An Evaluation of Patient Adherence With Rheumatologist’s Visit Four Years Later.
Poster Presentation at 12th APLAR Congress of Rheumatology (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)